Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Baiae

Well, I have returned from my adventures to the south. I have many pictures and videos to share which I will be uploading over the next few days.

The first part of my trip south was the town of Baiae. Baiae is an ancient coast town which was used by many important romans as a getaway or vacation spot. The town is located only 10 miles west of Naples, but it is a completely different world. This small laid back coastal town seemed far from the my previous urban experiences in Italy. We had lunch on the bay at a small pizza and seafood place. I ordered what I thought was spaghetti with fish... to my surprise it turned out to be spaghetti with mussels and clams on top (due to my poor Italian translation). I have to admit I was a little scared at first but it turned out to be quite delicious.

The most famous site in Baiae are the thermal baths which is what almost all my pictures and videos are from in this post.

On the bus

Bay of Baiae

Our tour guide... Nearly every major set of ruins in Italy seems to be infested with either cats or dogs. But it is kind of neat because they take care of the animals and give them their shots and food and in some cases even have adoption programs within the ruins. 


Tree roots growing down into a vault







These two videos are shot from atop the dome seen above. Below you can see the ancient thermal baths. Above you can see the surrounding landscape and the ocean in the distance.




I have four more posts to do from this trip which I will hopefully get up in the next couple days... but for now im short on time and sleep so... buonanotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment