Monday, March 28, 2011

Berlin

After Venice our spring break started so we flew up to Berlin for two nights. I must admit, Berlin was a bit of an afterthought on the trip list, but boy am I glad we went.

The first night we went to a restaurant that was recommended to me by our hotel clerk. It was called Brauhaus Mitte, and it knocked the socks of any of the Italian food I've had all semester. I had a giant plate full of potatoes, Vienna sausages, and sauerkraut (and a monstrous stein of beer). After the next two days of sightseeing and more delicious German food, I thought to myself, it must be in my blood to like this place.

I had to use two hands to drink this until it got about halfway down haha.

The Brandenburg Gate


The famous TV Tower.
Picture from the top of the tower... it was rainy so the view isn't very good
Bugatti Veyron (fastest production car in the world)

The Sony Center



Video of the lights changing colors in the sony center



River walk. It was so nice to see some modern architecture again haha

Julie posing with the lego giraffe

Largest remaining section of the wall.
 Down the street from this section of the wall is Checkpoint Charlie. Here there is a large wall-like installation that has an amazing timeline of the history of the Berlin Wall. It is always very strange to think that the wall was still standing in my lifetime. It is unbelievable how far the city has come since then.
Memorial to the Jews killed in the Holocaust.
These "extrusions"  cover an entire city block

No comments:

Post a Comment